Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mango Chutney Sauce with Grilled Chicken and Steamed Rice


My friend, Lillie, who lives down in the Florida Keys tells me she loves mangoes. She loves them so much she purchased the lot across the street "so I wouldn't have to look at another house over there," and planted a "bunch" of mango trees on it. I forgot to ask how many trees she planted, but my guess is about . . . ten.

We didn't say much more about it other than she has a more than one variety of mango growing there; but I got to thinking about it later. I don't think I've ever eaten so much as one mango in my entire life. A googling of mango tells me no fruit is grown in more quantity, and no other fruit is consumed as much as mango. That because it grows prolifically throughout the world in the tropical and sub-tropical regions.

When I got home I went to the store and bought three. Did some research here online to find a recipe, and found one that looks relatively easy to do: "Mango Chutney Sauce" which goes well with chicken. Here's a link to it at one of my favorite recipe link sites, "Simply Recipes."

And here's a link to my sketchbook where I wrote out the recipe and sketched a picture of the mangoes I purchased.

The finished product wasn't quite as good as I wanted. I think what we learned about mangoes is that they need to be a little less firm than these two were. The sauce was a bit more acidic than I hoped for at the end of the 30 minute cooking time, so more sugar was added, but the mango was still just not quite ready.

By the way: In the picture above the chicken looks all burned and blackened. This is because I added contrast to the overall picture to more clearly show the sauce. Though the chicken looks bad from here, it was nice and juicy, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment